Thursday, May 06, 2010

Freak II: reading

I keep mentioning that I'm a TV freak...but then again that's not the only freaky thing about me. I'm also a book freak: fantasy, sci-fi, murder, spy, and anything else under the sun. But I guess the freakiest bit would be my fascination with vampires...as you can fully read and understand, I don't consider freaky a bad word...^_^. The first vampire book that I read is a classic: Bram Stoker's Dracula. I remember clearly how fascinated I was with the character...a man that is evil yet there's an understanding as to why he did it. That was the start: my fondness for vampires. As I grew older, I continued to search for vampire books and I found Anne Rice. I love all her books pertaining to Lestat de Lioncourt, Louis de Pont du Lac, Armand and others. I highlighted 'books' because I hated all the Hollywood movies about Anne Rice's books. It was a failure...I mean...Tom Cruise as Lestat...Brad Pitt as Louis...blearrghhh...I guess Antonio as Armand was the closest to the book. Once I covered Anne Rice, I searched for more which was when I realized that the vampire literature got a bit clogged up with all the romance vampire icky stuff. Don't get me wrong: romance is good but the gooey stuff they write is just too sweet and disgusting at the same time that it induces continuous vomiting. Again, don't get me wrong...I like it when a dude saves the day but when the dudette is weak (I mean anorexic weak with an hour to live) kills the story. If you read about Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs (by the way she's a walker), that's one strong character driven woman. And no I'm not a feminist...like I wrote before, I like being saved by a man but at the same time I would like to be able to use my brain. I really hate that term 'feminist'....eargghhh...OMG...I completely ran away from the topic: vampire...sigh. Back to topic: whoever that's interested there is a whole load of books that is soooo interesting. And get this: not all vampire books are about vampires only. There are the weres (referring to anything that can change into animal form), walkers, fae and many others. For relax reading, go for 'True Blood'...I mean a southern vampire story...sweet (not icky) or read anything by Kelley Armstrong, Christine Feehan or you want to read anything on selkies and vampires then read Nicole Peeler's Tempest Rising (there are two more books). Honestly, I can go on but getting sleepy...yawn...will read a book before I sleep...good night readers (if there are any).

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
Edgar Allan Poe

^-^ Reading is a relaxing way to unwind. I read fiction...not reality based.

No comments: